Whether you struggle personally with alcoholism or have witnessed the descent of someone you love into problem drinking, you’re not alone. In fact, studies have shown that virtually every American has been touched by alcoholism in some way. According to the National Library of Medicine (NCBI), more than 40 percent of Americans admitted that alcoholism has touched their families in 2006, as each had at least one close relative who had struggled with alcoholism.
At Alta Mira, we have witnessed firsthand the transformative effect of successful treatment on the lives of individuals plagued by alcoholism. Our top alcohol rehabilitation program offers tailored tracks, with proven treatments fashioned to specifically address the complex stages on the journey to recovery from alcohol dependency.
Facts and Figures
With an impact that resonates with millions of Americans, alcoholism remains one of the most common addictions in the nation. Untreated alcoholism can wreak havoc on the health, mental well being, work and relationships of those who have developed a chemical dependency. Here are some of the statistics about the current epidemic of alcoholism experienced throughout the country.
- In the US alone, an excess of 17 million individuals, accounting for eight percent of Americans, struggle with symptoms of alcoholism, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- In 2004, nearly 14 million individuals – including 10 million men – engaged in “problem drinking.” Four years later in 2008, adults who self-identified as “regular drinkers” had risen to nearly half of the nation.
- According to the National Institutes of Health, the cost of alcohol-related medical care exceeded $101 million by the late 1980s alone.
- Inpatient alcoholism treatment centers generally experience success rates that climb 15 percent higher than outpatient alcoholism programs.
- One-quarter of patients enrolled in alcohol rehabilitation programs also exhibited grief symptoms at the time of treatment, with 50 percent of those individuals pointing to grief as the precipitating event to heavy drinking.
Reasons to Seek The Best Inpatient Treatment
While outpatient alcohol addiction treatment remains a viable option for some, the majority of cases of long-standing alcoholism occur alongside secondary features that generally require more intensive treatment. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the presence of the following symptoms suggests that the best inpatient alcohol rehab available may be necessary in order for individuals to successfully achieve sobriety.
Past Attempts at Detox
Mental Health Issues
High Alcohol Intake Levels
Lack of Positive Social Support
Aftercare and Transitional Planning
Completion of even the best alcoholism recovery programs simply does not guarantee continued sobriety. In fact, according to University of New Mexico data, only one-quarter of alcohol rehab graduates could claim sobriety 12 months after finishing an alcoholism program. When inpatient treatment nears its close, transitional planning can help prepare graduates to embark on sober living upon graduation. During the transitional planning phase, triggers for alcohol use are clearly identified and contingency plans are made to promote continued recovery. Patients receive guidance as they rebuild their social support networks, attend 12-step meetings locally, and connect with medical and mental health professionals in their area. Additionally, environmental changes are suggested to help ensure an atmosphere conducive to long-term sobriety.
Once graduates have transitioned back home, aftercare support can make an immense difference in relapse prevention. Follow-up calls, alumni events and sober excursions can all help cement the work accomplished during alcoholism treatment. In some cases, post-treatment therapies or individual services provided by alcoholism recovery centers may also contribute to long-term sobriety.
Experience Effective Alcoholism Treatment at Alta Mira
At Alta Mira, we have guided countless individuals through the process of learning – and living – sobriety. We offer personalized alcoholism treatment plans, professional alcohol detoxification and an aftercare support system unparalleled in the recovery industry. At Alta Mira, our revolutionary alcoholism treatment center provides holistic, 360-degree treatment blending cutting-edge psychotherapy techniques, traditional modalities, and alternative and creative therapies. Take the first steps towards freedom from alcoholism by calling us today to learn more about our top holistic alcohol treatment program.